Monday, January 03, 2005

Introduction

Welcome to the "Teaching Biology" blog. While it is difficult to predict how this blog will evolve, at this beginning, the vision is to provide a repository of shared experiences and reflections for the biology teaching community. Biology teachers face more controversey than probably any other field of secondary education. Biology teachers face the additional challenge that no other content area (except current events) changes so rapidly in fundamental ways. This "Age of Biology" makes biology teaching truly exciting but the current political and educational climates make effective teaching a real challenge.

I have been teaching biology for more than 25 years and I've been very fortunate in my career in that I've been a part of a number of innovative curriculum projects (i.e. The Monarch Watch, Wisconsin FastPlants, The GENE project, the GLOBE project, the Global Lab project, and several others.) Working to improve biology education for not just my own students but for other teachers and their students as well is very rewarding.

I'm starting this blog to share some of the insights that come from a life-long passion of teaching biology and to respond to the ever changing landscape of biology and biology education. Knowing full well, that my time is limited (as well as my experiences), I've invited friends (who also happen to be vetern biology teachers) from around the country (or world) and from diverse schools to contribute on this blog. Hopefully, this blog will take on a life of its own and become a valued resource for the next generation of biology teachers.

Brad Williamson

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found you through the AP Biology listserv. This is a great idea!

Ms. Lee Silva

Anonymous said...

I found information about your Blog from an e-mail I got from CRABS in Cleveland, Ohio. I am in my second year of teaching, and think your website is great. I've recently been getting all kinds of negative vibes from other teachers and my grad class about all this negative stuff about teaching, and no positive stuff, and sometimes makes me think twice about the profession I've chosen. Although I try to stay away from negative people, it is sometimes difficult. It is nice to hear from veteran teachers who have such a passion still, and I hope to really learn some new skills and gain some insights from this website.

Mrs. Amy Knisely